Friday, August 10, 2007

The Dike

"The Dike" is now a location for people to sell anything from sea glass to handcrafted furniture. When I was younger, there was no pavement, lines for parking spaces, or people selling their wares. It was where the teenagers would sit in their cars and wait for their friends to pull up and talk. I remember thumping across the gravel to park and talk to my friends. The kids don't seem to hang out downtown and drive back and forth through town like we did. We had no fast food restaurants, movie theaters, stores, or other entertainment so we drove back and forth through town and stop to talk to one another for something to do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya know... I didn't do the parkin' on the dike much, but I did do it some the last couple years I lived there and once I did and left, I really missed it. It was just a great way to hook up with friends. I'm sure the kids have something else they do now.

Eric said...

Eric is from a small town (in KY) and he's always telling me about how that's what they did - they'd "cruise" driving around town and there were a few places where you'd meet up with friends. It's different when there are more places to go and newer things to do. Growing up in Pensacola, we had plenty of places to hang out - the beach being a big one. :)

Jay Guptill said...

The kids are at home playing video games now!!!